Monday, September 10, 2012

New Kicks


New running shoes are a big deal for me.  More so than probably most runners who follow the all-important “Replace your shoes every 500 miles” rule because I don’t follow that rule.  I follow the “Replace my shoes when my feet/legs/body start hurting” rule. 

In my first few weeks of training I’ve been ignoring every ache and pain that my body has been screaming at me because I KNEW it was telling me to get new shoes.  As a loyal patron of Road Runners in Richmond, VA I had to accept the fact I needed to find a new running store in Nashville, TN.  Saturday morning in the pouring rain, (Obviously I moved my long run to Sunday as you’ll learn: I don’t run in the rain. Ever.) I went to Team Nashville to get some new kicks.

The crew at Team Nashville were super friendly and basically gave me a hard time from the second I walked in decked out in Virginia Tech gear.  It didn’t take long to realize these were my kind of people.  They fit me in some of the most badass running shoes I’ve ever owned and I’m so pumped to hit the ground running. Literally. [Oh, I should probably share another running shoe confession: Most runners probably follow the all-important “Don’t buy running shoes based on the way they look” rule.  Yeah, I don’t follow that one either.]

This past weekend I hit 6 miles and felt really good.  The only issue I’m running into is my body begging me for food.  Goal for this week is: Proper fueling.  I’m notorious for clocking in a long run without the proper follow-up of nutrients.  48 hours later there usually isn’t enough food on Earth to satisfy me and you should probably get out of my way should you see me because I may chew your arm off and eat it for a snack.  Yum.

Alright Mizunos, let's do this.

1 comment: