Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Problems ahead

I woke up on Monday morning and actually got out of bed, saw that it was a BEAUTIFUL morning, slightly chilly and decided it was perfect for a run.

I made it a half mile, good pace and then my left knee started to hurt. Now, leading up to this run, I've had some pain in my IT bands and know that I can run through it and it'll get better. So I trudged on and hoped my body would warm up. Just before I hit the 1 mile marker I had a shooting pain in my left knee - not entirely in the same place as the IT band pain. I tried to run through it but it was getting worse. I stopped, rubbed it out and then started back - only to have it start up again. I did this for about .65 miles - stop, start, stop, sit, start and then said F IT. Turned off my iPod and walked back to the house.


I called my Sports Dr. as soon as I got back and left a message that I need to get in to see her as soon as possible. I went in after my morning meeting and Dr. Stadler took a look and listened to what I had been feeling, when, etc. First look would suggest that I've either inflamed or torn my Meniscus in my left knee. She explained that the Meniscus is designed to take pounding but not necessarily rational pounding. As I run on streets in downtown Richmond or working out with free weights, it's likely that I tweaked over and over again my knee causing this. I appreciate Dr. Stadler because she's not quick to suggest surgery and really really listens to you and what you're saying. What's interesting about her is that she's progressive in her approaches which I'm just not used to (and honestly, shame on me and the medical profession for that). I'm so stranger to knee pain and surgery so I generally know what questions to ask - but with her - I just sit there and stare at her and am thankful that she walks me through the pros and cons. She's not suggesting knee surgery for the time being. She wants to see if she can repair it more naturally first. So yesterday she injected my knee with sugar water which causes inflammation and thus increasing the blood flow and healing to the area. This form of treatment is still relatively knew and not entirely recognized by traditional orthopedic surgeons. However, after doing my home work here's what I know: the side effects are incredibly minimal especially where the knee is concerned and the principal is sound in terms of sugar water causing inflammation. The debate is whether or not you believe inflammation, increased blood flow can help increase healing or not.

I got back Thursday to check in with her and talk about next steps. She gave me a brochure called "Regenerative Injection Therapy" and asked me to familiarize myself incase we go down that road. It's another alternative to surgery and uses your own blood (from your arm) to extract the platelet rich plasma and then inject it in to my knee which causes a strengthening of your tendons, ligaments and tissues.

Stay tuned! My ability to run in Nov appears to be slightly up in the air but I remain hopeful until told otherwise!! And honestly, as long as I can run in February - I'll be ok :)

No comments:

Post a Comment