Thursday, October 11, 2012

Stop Competing with Others

I'm super competitive. Not in the get the hell out of my way or you'll be taken out manner - more of the "we all did so great! [internal fist pump to myself for winning]" kind of way. I'm extremely fortunate to have an amazing mentor in both my profession and personal life. Our topic of conversation recently (the past 6 months) is around motivation. I've excelled quickly in my professional life and what's become more and more apparent is this: the more you move up, the fewer people that are around you. And when you feed off of other people to help motivate you, push to the next level and gut check and you're doing the right thing and going above and beyond - it gets harder and I have to seek other places for motivation. 

Yesterday, I found this:


This has always been easy for me when it comes to anything athletic because I SUCK at sports. But the more active I get, the more experience I gain professionally - this, I think, speaks volumes. Push yourself do to better than you did the day before. Maybe it's not time for you, maybe it's mileage or getting up and going to run even when you want to stay in bed - just do better than yourself and you can't lose. 



No comments:

Post a Comment